June 9, 2016 by Steven Knight
“Living and breathing an authentic story is the best way to survive in an conversation-rich world.”
The 4Cs: Making 21st Centruy Education Happen – https://vimeo.com/35544282
Brainstorm via Padlet -21st Century Skills – Focus on these new skills does not mean we ignore 20th century skills.
- Group #1 Link – https://padlet.com/sjknight/hrt4xgwas0u9
- Group #2 Link – https://padlet.com/sjknight/ian07bs36ekv
- Resource – Partnership for 21st Century Skills Framework
Create a Schoology account – Referral Code: SKnight15
Digital Storytelling Project
You can tell any kind of story with this group project. My goal for this project is that you use ’new-to-you’ technology tools to create a video that includes audio- narration and/or music sound track in class (some planning for this project might need to happen outside of class – Use Google Docs). I recommend no more than 5 minutes.
Think of this assignment as practice for incorporating Digital Storytelling into your classroom (and maybe your unit plan). Your digital story can;
- retell a story/fairy tale/myth/legend
- retells a story about a famous figure-Biography/place/event covered in your Standards
- reflection on a life event
- movie trailer for the documentary you hope to create in the future
Consider the following elements when planning and producing your Digital Story;
- Point of View – What is the main point of the story and what is the perspective of the author?
- A Dramatic Question – keeps the viewer’s attention and will be answered at the end.
- Emotional Content – issues that come alive in a personal way and connects the story to the audience.
- The Gift of Your Voice – personalize the story.
- The Power o the Soundtrack – music to support and embellish the story.
- Economy – using just enough content to tell a story without overloading the viewer.
- Pacing – the rhythm of the story and how slowly or quickly it progresses.
** Have one member of your group Comment on this post with all the names of your group before you start working.
Links from class:
Adobe Spark – pictures/video/sound online
PowToon – online animated slides
Animoto – online music video creation
Storybird – online storytelling
ZooBurst – online 3d popup
FreePlayMusic – copyright free music
Youtube Music Library – https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/music
Pixlr – free online software to edit photos/images
Apps – A great list of apps
- Storyboard, script, and photos for digital story – Use a Google Slide.
- Read “10 tips on how to make slides that communicate your idea” via TED Blog
- Watch the (8:19).
Post 1 response on your blog/class preparation:
- Explore your classmates blogs and post a comment on at least two blogs.
- After you watch (8:19), share your reaction/reflection on your class blog.
June 16th is our first Virtual class at 5:00PM. I will be at the Rowely Hall if you prefer to be in the lab with me (for extra tech support).